Wednesday, August 31, 2011

...And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

As you can tell by the tone of this blog we are extremely biased in our OPINIONS about what true Hip-Hop tastes, smells and acts like; much less sounds like. So again, if you do not know the 5 elements of Hip-Hop; BBoy, BGirl or Breakin, MC, DJ, Graffiti, and Culture, then again this not a blog you should continue to read. It'll just confuse your stupid-ass and I'm not blogging for the ignorant. If you choose to open your mind and ears to grown folk who were raised in this culture; who are telling you what this Hip-Hop shit is really about, then what we have to say will forever clear your mind of the senseless garbage you've absorbed. Think of us as your Hip-Hop enema; just lose the visual and literal application.

I was thinking the other day of actually purchasing.. scratch that.. listening to Lil-Pain's new...uh...uh..yeah right!! I looked at the track list and found the featured artists I love. 2 tracks; Bun, Busta, Shyne, and Nas on one track and Kiss on another; downloaded those and kept it movin. Fuck him and his leopard tights. Just sayin I'm wearin baggy jeans in my casket, my word!!

Anyway this has been on my mind. What has happened to the DJ in Hip-Hop actually SCRATCHING on a record! The Dj used to have their own feature track on an album. Jazzy Jeff - Rhythm Trax, House Party Style; Grand Master Flash On The Wheels Of Steel;Dj Mister Cee's Master Plan, although I hope his plan wasn't what happened in that car, but I don't judge. All I'm saying is certain groups SOUND was defined by the sound of the DJ. Gangstarr(Guru R.I.P) their sound was defined not only by the samples Premier chose but how he looped, scratched and mixed them together, along with Guru's cool flow; "Take it pers, take, take it pers. take take it personal" Pete Rock is legendary for his soulful grooves and how he put his tracks together. I can listen to CL Smooth all day if it's a Pete Rock track(Please don't say I don't like CL. I just like CL with PR same as I like Tip WITH Phife or a royale with cheese). I could go on and on, DJ Scratch from EPMD, Chuck Nice and Woody Wood from 3XDope, Eric B, Jam Master Jay. If you're a Head you can remember exact scratches on songs. As the song played you stood there with your boys and emulated it with your left hand on the fader and right hand scratching back and forth. I still do that shit and I'm a DJ. It's ingrained in me. It's as natural as looking at an approaching fat ass from the front and the split second she walks by you turn around and see that shit and make that "Gawd Damn" face!!

Today's music is different. I don't want to sound dated so I will give props. While my preference is the raw, sample driven, basic boom-bap, rhyme and scratch, today's sound is more refined as the technology has changed. Kanye is a talented MF. The Throne and Twisted Fantasy are musical explosions. Swizz Beats, Timberland, 9th and Rza are some of my other favorites. But that raw sound is gone from the mainstream. You can still find it underground and if you're willing to search the net. At this blog we are committed to keeping that sound and the purity of Hip-Hop at the core of your experience. It's a preference, not hate. Keep that in mind when I say Drake is the softest rapper since PM Dawn. I'm patiently waiting for KRS to throw his ass off the stage along with Big Sean and Lil B.

Anyway my next blog will be about something I rarely hear discussed. Which artists have the best back to back albums. We always talk about which album was better or your favorite album or even who has the better catalog overall. Back to Back Best Albums. ie Ready to Die and Life After Death(R.I.P Big). Now that's somewhat obvious but that's where the next discussion is headed. And we're going back people so do your homework.

Peace and Feed Your Damn Kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment