Saturday, September 3, 2011

Jean Grae’s Home for Gifted Dragons




My contributing editor/author (DJ EMCEE) dropped a jewel for you guys in the blog, so this is just a special editor’s note based on the inspiration of the Killer Mike video “Burn” and the CNN interview. Killer Mike HAS WITHOUT QUESTION SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT! Salute to Killer Mike for the courage to stand tall and the movement “Where’s My 40 Acres” blog/podcast for bringing it to the world’s attention: http://wheresmy40acres.blogspot.com/.

Memo For Record:

You will see Jean Grae’s moniker throughout this entry and other entries. Some tease that I am a stalker or a dick-rider. Well let me clear that shit up right the fuck now: 1) She’s a female so it is physically, literally, and biologically impossible to dick-ride! I may be titty swinging or hip hugging but I am definitely not dick-riding! And 2) I do not stalk Jean Grae! I only follow her (behind the tree, in the dark, with binoculars)...but seriously, Let’s be clear-Jean Grae as an artist and a person means the world to me! Through her music and Hip-Hop, I have connected with a special human being. So I will continue to selflessly promote and spread her brand to the World. Jean Grae has inspired me again within this culture that practically raised me. So this special edition blog entry is once again dedicated to Jean but more importantly I’m raising the bar; I’m building/expanding the aura and synergy of this blog community to the new, “Jean Grae’s Home for Gifted Dragons.”

A dragon you say? Yes! A dragon. A dragon is a mythical monster generally represented as a huge, winged reptile with a crested head and enormous claws and teeth, and often spouting fire. The key to this definition is: A mythical monster usually represented as breathing fire! So we wanted to provide a vehicle for those underground and above ground emcees (that spit fire) and deejays (that destroy break beats and wreck shop on the 1s & 2s) can build and politic through.

The name Jean Grae is a moniker for my favorite MC; however, it is also the moniker of one of the original X-Men who grew, resided, learned, and trained at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters; hence, Jean Grae’s Home for Gifted Dragons!

“Hip-Hop Ain’t Lost: Jean Grae’s Home for Gifted Dragons”

THE VISION: TO EVENTUALLY BRING WHAT WE INDISPUTABLY KNOW WHAT HIP-HOP IS TO THE OVERGROUND SO THE UNDERGROUND WILL BE RECOGNIZED AS THE GREATNESS IT IS!
THE MISSION STATEMENT: RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO, HIP-HOP IS SOMETHING YOU LIVE!
THE PURPOSE: 1) This blog was created for the simple reason of starting a Grassroots Movement to motivate and inspire those you are fed up with having Hip-Hop WRONGLY dictated to fans and  consumers!  2) To close the gap and start educating the younger generation on what Hip-Hop is! 3) To provide an outlet for those up and coming emcees, deejays, B-boys, & B-girls a platform to relieve stress, get some humor, build and connect with other like minded artist, and a vehicle to grow and build bridges using technology.

WE ARE GOING TO BRING BACK THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE ELEMENTS OF HIP-HOP!

Introduction:

(First let me shout out my PNC [Partner-in-Crime for those scoring at home] and contributing author/editor: DJ Emcee *applause rips through the crowd* I’ll let him handle his introductions on his next post but here’s his latest entry so enjoy: ...And Now A Word From Our Sponsor [read here]: http://philly2az.blogspot.com/2011/08/and-now-word-from-our-sponsor.html)

Now let me re-introduce myself: My name is Philly (don’t worry about my government right now [you don’t need it if you don’t know my mommy’s name] @Philly2AZ via Twitter), I’m a Timberland boot addict from Philly (2 Fifteen ALL DAY!) living in Arizona (Tucson), I’m a Hip-Hop Head & Enthusiast, I’m the “Hip-Hop Ain't Lost Blog” Editor, a Truth seeker, Knowledge speaker, Gemini, and a Pescatarian. I’m fluent in Sarcasm, Spanglish, & Drunk Text. Sometimes when I’m on my shit, automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi! Biggie, Black Thought, Jean Grae, and KRS-One (in that order) are my favorite EMCEEs (And the 4 out of my Top 5; Pharaohe Monch completes the Top 5 and I’ll bet money on mine)! DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Kid Capri, DJ Scratch, and DJ Q’Bert are my favorite DJs (also in that order and also betting money)! Bobby Dance in Philly got me into B-Boying and breaking and North Philly’s SAM (Sly Artistic Masters), Tron, and Alien are the graf writers/artist that I tried to be like! I am very, very bias in what I listen to. I don’t care where you from, what color you are, what sexual orientation you are, etc...if your jawns is garbage, get the entire fuck outta here (I don’t have to waste my time listening to garbage because there are way too many avenues for bullshit to get looked at; The crew [Where’s My 40 Acres: http://wheresmy40acres.blogspot.com/] that I fucks with will already blast your shit to the other side of the moon so I got their back which get’s me off the hook from your wackness) I relocated to Arizona with no friends or family that shared the same aspect of Hip-Hop. No one was with me in the physical to vibe and parlay with about Hip-Hop and music. The wiz was getting worried/nervous about me talking to myself; so I started to put my thoughts, gripes, bitches, complaints, suggestions, and questions of the state of Hip-Hop on paper. Then I got hooked on Twitter (not a fan of Facebook) which connected me with like minds (Salute Jean Grae, DJ Scratch, DJ Kid Capri, DJ Jazzy Jeff...). I stopped writing to paper and wrote electronically. Then it happened; some FUCKNUT, FUCKTARD posted on Twitter that Little Wayne was 2 bars away from 2Pac. Really!!! I don’t know what that statement meant but I was mad as fuck none-the-less! So I started this blog out of frustration and therapy.

While in my therapy (this blog for those just joining us); I’ve had the pleasure of politicing (of course with Jean Grae and many others I admire in Hip-Hop) but also with four very talented, underground group of MCs that embody what this blog represents. This collective is called: The Writer’s Guild! The most lovely thing was that I first met a quarter of these MCs at the Jean Grae Show in Tempe, AZ (26 Aug 2011). What’s lovely is that Jean Grae blessed us with her presence in a small market. Once again through her music, she was able to bring people together that may or may not have met. All I know is things happen for a reason and Jean’s show was that vehicle that got this movement rolling so SALUTE TO JEAN AND THE WRITERS GUILD and to all others: GIVE MY GIRL HER FUCKIN CREDIT! SHE DESTROYED TEMPE AND I HAVEN’T SEEN ANY HIP-HOP GIANTS FROM THE BIG EAST IN A SMALL MARKET (Tucson doesn’t count) ON THIS SIDE OF TOWN!

My second feature will be on the collective The Writer’s Guild (the first was an Ode to Jean Grae [read here]: http://philly2az.blogspot.com/2011/08/ode-to-jean-grae.html); however, this will be the first feature that will be exclusively about someone other than Jean. This will be my first attempt to bridge Hip-Hop crews/artist/fans/enthusiast with each other and to the world through my lane without retribution, beef, or negativity. This blog isn’t for crews to battle each other or for beef to be aired out, this blog was created with the intent on giving us what we need and what the radio & mainstream is lacking, “fiend-ing for something good so I can puff on it” (Joell Ortiz, 2010, “Cut You Loose”). Here’s a look ahead of the feature on The Writer’s Guild:

The Writer's Guild is an organization created to protect the rights, privileges and integrity of writers. In the late 1960s, the term "supergroup" was coined to describe a rock music group whose performers are already famous from having performed individually or in other groups." Don't call The Writer's Guild a "supergroup." Call it a collective..a movement... or the new standard. Formed in Phoenix, Arizona, the Guild is collection of emcees and one poet, all with the same goal-- raising the bar and quality level in hip-hop music.

Disclaimer:

This blog is OPEN to everyone; however, everyone isn’t welcomed in. Let me explain, I am not here to hate on what you like. Do you and like who you like but DO NOT COME OVER HERE TRYING TO DEBATE WHAT YOU THINK HIP-HOP IS. THAT BULLSHIT YOU CALL HIP-HOP IS FAR FUCKING FROM IT! THIS IS NOT ME TALKING OR MY OPINIONS BECAUSE WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT HIP-HOP IS! HOW? WELL BECAUSE (forget the fact that I grew up in the 70s and have been involved with this culture from the infancy to now, or that this culture raised me) IT WAS ALREADY MANIFESTED, SOLIDIFIED, AND STAMPED WITH AUTHENTICITY FROM THE FOUNDING FATHERS (SALUTE KOOL HERC, ZULU NATION, DOUGIE FRESH, KRS-ONE, ETC...)! WE ALREADY KNOW THAT THE ELEMENTS OF HIP-HOP MUST BE INCORPORATED IN SOME FACET OR FASHION TO BE EVEN CONSIDERED TO BE IN THE ‘BALLPARK’. SO BEFORE YOU COME INTO THIS HOME OF GIFTED DRAGONS WITH THAT SOFT, SILLY, BUBBLEGUM, FRUIT ROLLUP, FRUIT SNACK RAP OR PLAYING RECORDS WITHOUT EVEN A BASIC SCRATCH (OR YOUR NAME HAS DJ IN IT BUT YOU CAN’T MIX); IF YOU CAN READ, THEN READ THE MISSION STATEMENT AGAIN  AND THEN READ ALL OF THE BLOGS IN ITS ENTIRETY TO SEE WHERE OUR MIND IS AT. IF WE AIN’T ON THE SAME PAGE, THEN I CAN’T DO ANYTHING WITH YOU OR FOR YOU SO LET’S NOT WASTE EACH OTHER’S TIME. AND I WON’T HAVE TO CHECK YOU, I HAVE MUTANTS ON DECK AND THEY BREATH VICIOUS, STINGING, NAPALM FIRE SO LIKE WU SAID, “PROTECT YOUR NECK!”

Wrap-up:

HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE RECEPTIVE TO LEARNING, BUILDING, AND EXPANDING THEN COME ON IN; IT’S MY HOUSE BUT YOU ARE DEFINITELY WELCOME SO MAKE YOURSELF COMFORTABLE.

THIS IS A VIRAL CAMPAIGN TO ENSURE THOSE THAT WANT IN CAN SWALLOW THE RIGHT COLOR PILL AND BREAK AWAY FROM THE MATRIX; TO STOP HAVING “WHAT IS HOT?” DICTATED TO TRUE HEADS! THIS CURRENT WAY OF BRAINWASHING HAS LEFT TRUE TALENT IRRELEVANT! WE’RE HERE TO SPREAD LOVE, KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION, AND GOOD MUSIC. WE’RE HERE BECAUSE WHILE EVERYBODY IS WATCHING THE THRONE, IT IS EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE KNOW RAKIM HAS NEW MATERIAL OUT! THAT KOOL G RAP HAS AN ALBUM OUT! THERE’S ENOUGH LOOT (MONEY) OUT HERE FOR OUR REAL STARS TO GET PAID AND DO WHAT THEY LOVE AND FANS BENEFIT FROM THIS.

Bottom Line:

There are 5 Elements of Hip-Hop; skinny jeans, wallet chains, snap backs, bad tattoos, and fake jewelry ain’t it! The latter isn’t evolution  of the culture, its just EMBARRASSING! Fans and consumers can like and buy what they choose. This is not a forum to hate, alienate (well sort of alienate), or force people to like what I like. But if you are wondering, that’s easy; I LOVE HIP-HOP, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! Now if this is to vague for you, then come on in and let’s talk about it...




P.S.

One more thing before a vacate, if one more motherfucking person tell me LITTLE Wayne is Hot because his beats are Hot...*punching the wall* Stop giving credit to these WACK ASS, LAME, GARBAGE rappers for music that they had no hand in creating. Start listening to instrumentals and check who the producer is; the producer just might be a DJ. And more importantly a DJ with real skill and knowledge...that’s HIP-HOP!

RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO, HIP-HOP IS SOMETHING YOU LIVE!

...from the immortal words of Jean Grae, “SCRABBLEBEOTCH”

Salute

Philly aka Philly2AZ aka Mr. Who is That aka Mr. I throw up when I hear wack shit!

UNO

No comments:

Post a Comment